Last month I had the pleasure of meeting up with my favorite stylist in LA, Mika Fowler. Seriously ladies, I kid you not, this woman will give you the best haircut of your life! Everytime I book an appointment, I'm always thrilled with the end result. During our most recent meet-up, she chopped 3+ inches from my mane, leaving me with a fabulous mid-length 'do.
I've always trusted Mika's expert opinion, so with an upcoming trip to the east coast on my calender, I decided to pick her brain about proper summer haircare — here's what she had to say:
- Invest in haircuts regularly, you shouldn’t go more than 8 weeks without a trim because frizzy hair only tends to frizz up more when there are split ends.
- Deep Conditioning treatments are a must, I suggest that my clients come in to the salon from time to time for my 3 step deep conditioning treatment but for the ones that cannot make the trip as often need to invest in at home products that they can use in the shower once a week.
- When getting out of the shower you do not want to rub down your hair when it’s wet but you rather squeeze it dry with a microfiber towel or cotton towel. Your hair is so sensitive when it is wet and this will not strain it.
- Invest in the appropriate hair brush for your hair type and style goal. It is important to note that certain brushes are used for different outcomes, this will help in keeping your hair frizz free when trying to achieve a certain look.
- Lastly, you want to choose the right products for your hair type. There are serums, milk products, crème’s and all react differently to your hair type so do you research. Also, brands like Joico, have products like the Joico Humidity Blocker which assists with this very issue and is used as a styler to give you that extra frizz free protection. Use smoothing or glossing serum: Smoothing serums, as well as leave-in conditioners, coat the hair shaft, reducing frizz. Some of these products are heavy and can weigh your hair down too much. Use sparingly until you discover the right amount of the product to use for your hair.
If you're in LA, be sure to visit Mika at the Kim Vo Salon in the Montage Beverly Hills.