Nothing beats a great breakfast, especially when it's a healthy one. For today's "Wellness Wednesday", I'm sharing with you one of my all time favorite morning treats, gluten free blueberry pancakes. After deciding to go gluten-free this past year, it became a mission to remaster recipes I once loved, but could no longer consume. Pancakes (one of my favorite indulgences) was first on my list.
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup of Blueberries (I like a lot, it adds flavor & sweetness)
- 1 cup of Brown Rice Flour (any gluten free flour will do, but I prefer this)
- 1 whole egg (if vegan, replace with 1 heaping tbsp of Coconut Oil)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- Half of a Banana
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
Begin by mixing all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl mash banana & whisk in the egg, vanilla & almond milk. Combine both dry & wet ingredients, adding the blueberries last into the bowl. Heat 1 tbsp of Coconut Oil onto a pan & begin dropping batter in. Like a normal pancake, once you notice bubbling happening, it's time to flip. Cook time for each pancake is typically 2-3 minutes. Batter makes 3-4 small pancakes.
Top with pure maple syrup, agave or honey (not into the sugar/calorie free stuff...if it's not natural, don't put it in your body!). Looking to cut your sugar intake? Try adding unsweetened apple sauce on top or a bit more coconut oi.
Now, this wouldn't be a beauty blog if I didn't list off a few beauty benefits from the ingredients listed above, check it out:
- Blueberries: Not only do they boost your immune system (perfect for this time of year!), they're also filled with antioxidants which prevent premature aging, promote cell renewal and improve vision.
- Banana: The sugar content in this tasty fruit is a great source of energy, thereby building muscles and reducing fatigue resulting in a glowing face.
- Brown Rice Flour: This fibrous grain aides in detoxification of the body big time. When brown rice passes through the oesophagus and the intestinal tract, it absorbs all the toxins along with it, ultimately flushing them out of your body. A big plus when your looking to loose a few pounds.
- Eggs: The lutein found in eggs increases elasticity, hydration, and lipid content in skin, resulting in a healthier appearance. Also, the protein levels are an essential tool in growing healthy hair and nails.
- Cinnamon: This spice contains polyphenols, antioxidants that create healthier arteries and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Another bonus? It also helps to lower blood sugar and high cholesterol.